Number of Readers

To access Web Pages from this Blog

Please click on the links in each Blog entry to access web sites on that topic.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Collision of a D-82A Tiger Moth with a P-39 Airacobra


RAAF Tiger Moth

I received a bundle of photos a few days ago of the 36th Fighter Squadron, 8 Fighter Group. Then last night Justin Taylan of Pacific Wrecks asked me about the crash of a Tiger Moth at Halifax Bay near Townsville on 10 September 1942.

I already had a web page on this crash and at that stage I knew that the pilot, Captain "Hoot" Bevlock, had been killed in this crash and his passenger had bailed out safely. There was a suggestion that the Tiger Moth had collided with another aircraft.

I went through the photos I had received earlier in the week and found two photos of "Hoot" Bevlock and then to my amazement I found a photo of a Tiger Moth at Ross River Airfield in Townsville with the following caption written in pencil on the back of the photo:-


"Bill Bennett - standing. 'Hoot' Bevlock in Gypsy Moth, Ross River, Townsville, Aust. August 1942. 'Hoot' was killed in this plane same day picture was taken. Collided with a P-39 flown by Lt. Grover Gholson."


The above caption incorrectly stated that it was a Gypsy Moth and also stated that the crash was in August 1942 rather than on 10 September 1942. This caption did however confirm that the Tiger Moth had collided with a P-39 Airacobra piloted by Lt. Grover Gholson.

So this would have been the last photograph taken of "Hoot" Bevlock sitting in the Tiger Moth on the day that he was killed.

I have now added the new photos and added some more information about the crash to the following web site.


www.ozatwar.com/ozcrashes/qld133.htm

.